1. What information we collect and how we collect information
For purposes of this Policy, “User's Information” means information that identifies users, history of actions on communication services and other information created or accumulated in relation to User or users' devices, which shall be collected by the Company pursuant to this Policy.
The Service is provided by Ashinote, Inc., based in Japan and operated globally. You should know that any personally identifiable information you provide to the Service possibly be transferred out of your country, for example, according to locations of servers including cloud services. By using the Services, you consent to such transfer and are representing that you have the right to transfer such information outside of your country, under the consent to take your information from your country, especially from inside to outside of European Economic Area (EEA). Which means, by your consent, your data might be transferred to countries where the European Commission has not admitted adequacy of personal data protection and/or without protections such as Standard contractual clauses (SCC), etc. The Company shall manage and protect your personal information properly no matter where the data is transferred.
Depending on the method of collection, the User's Information that we may collect for a user to use the Services includes:
1-1. Information provided by the User
Users will provide the information below to use the Services:
- Basic user information: such as your name, email address, and profile picture, etc;
- Posted data: such as articles, Q&A, comments, Upvote, Follow, messages, etc.;
- Other background and demographic information: such as number of visits to Japan, interests, biography, Facebook URL, gender, residential country (where you live), age (birthday), English level, and other information entered by the user into forms specified by the Company, that you agreed to provide other background and demographic information; and
- Other information entered by the user into forms specified by the Company.
1-2. Information from third-party services
The Company may collect the following information from third-parties, including but not limited to social networking sites, to the extent the user permits for use with the Services at that time. Parts of information will be visible to other Users. For example, Facebook profile URL will be visible to specific Users if you choose to make it visible.
- ID used by the User for third-parties; and
- Other information that the User has authorized the other service provider to disclose through its privacy settings in such third-parties. For example, name, profile picture, profile URL, age range, etc;
1-3. Information collected automatically by the Company for the use of the Services;
The Company may collect information upon access to or use of the Services, including:
- terminal information;
- log information; (For example, browser kind, browser language, referral, time on site, etc, collected through a browser, server, Google Analytics, etc.)
- cookies and anonymous ID;
- location information; and
- IP address.
2. How we use information
We use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or otherwise disclosed to you on or in connection with our Services. For example, we may use information about you for the following purposes:
2-1. Operate, improve, and develop the Services
- Operate the Services;
- Provision, maintenance, protection, and improvement of the Services, including but not limited to acceptance of registration for the Services, identification of individuals and computation of use fees;
- Protect the safety of the Users;
- Monitor and avoid scam, spam, abuse, or any other harmful acts and violation of the rules written in the Policy and deal with such acts;
- Guidance or response to inquiries relating to the Services;
- Notice of any modification to the Rules, security updates, or any other information that needs to be informed to the Users;
- Notice of after-sales service and support related to the Service, new products, and service, and campaign information;
- Notice of information from third-parties (including advertisements);
- Create personalized experiences, for example, showing recommendations for articles, Users, etc., according to your interests; and
- Other purposes incidental to the foregoing.
Please note that you can unsubscribe almost every notification anytime from your settings.
2-2. Deliver or display advertisements of the Company or third-parties and other marketing purposes
We process parts of information we collected to statistical data in forms which cannot identify individuals. Those data may be used for delivering and displaying advertisement by the Company or third-parties and other marketing purposes.
The data we process into forms which cannot identify individuals are following:
- Device information;
- Log information;
- Cookies and anonymous ID;
- Location information;
- IP address;
- Number of visits to Japan;
- Residential country (where you live);
- Age (date of birth);
- Posted Data (articles, Q&A, comments, Upvote, Follow, messages, etc.);
- Paid amount, numbers of payment;
- Content of inquiry such as through e-mails; and
- Other information entered by the user into forms specified by the Company.
Visit www.allaboutcookies.org for more detailed information about Cookies.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you wish to remove or reject cookies, you should change the settings of your browser by yourself. Each browser has different ways to change settings so refer to browser’s help to learn how to change your settings.
For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Please note, however, that our Services may not function properly if your browser does not accept cookies.
3. How we share information
We share your information we collected in the following ways:
3-1. Between Users
You will be asked to share certain information, including your personal information, to certain Users when you use specific services in the Services.
- MEET & EAT: We require you to provide particular additional background and demographic information to use MEET & EAT. The information is needed to do the matching smoothly and to maintain safety. Parts of the information are shared only to MEET & EAT Users.
- Experiences: Your name and e-mail address will be shared with the hosts of experiences if you register to participate in experiences through the Services. How hosts manage information is totally under hosts’ control, and the Company does not have control over it.
3-2. Public information
The Services make parts of information visible to the general public under conditions in the Policy.
- Parts of your profile: such as your name, profile picture, biography, number of visits to Japan, etc.
- Parts of Posted Data: such as articles, questions, answers, comments, upvotes, follow, etc.
Based on our legitimate interest to promote the Services, we may display parts of the public information on sites operated by third-parties. The information you share publicly on the Services may be indexed through third-party search engines. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
4. Provision of Personal Information to third-parties
Unless required by the Personal Information Protection Act or other applicable laws and regulations, the Company shall not provide to any third-party personal information contained in the User's Information without the prior consent of the user, unless:
- Your questions, answers, comments, Upvote, Follow, and other Posted Data on the Service, and metadata about them (such as when you posted them), are publicly visible on the Services, along with your name (unless the Services permits you to post anonymously). This information may be searched by search engines and be reposted elsewhere on the Web in accordance with our Terms and Conditions;
- If a User intends to use the Services and carry out procedures relating to products or services that the Services provide etc., disclosure by the Company of the User Information to persons who provide, etc., such products or services. For example, hosts who provide experiences and restaurants you visit when participating in MEET & EAT;
- The Company authorizes such third-party to handle the personal information in whole or in part to the extent necessary to accomplish the purpose of the use. For example, third-parties to deliver advertisements or to analyze data, including Google Adsense, Google Analytics, etc;
- The personal information is provided through a business transfer by way of merger or other similar transactions;
- The personal information is provided to a provider of an information collection module;
- The Company makes the data visible to the general public or sell the data after processing personal information in forms that cannot identify an individual;
- The personal information and Posted Data such as question and answers as a set redistributed to other websites or any other media. (Including offline media such as printed media);
- The Company is required to cooperate with state or local governmental organizations or their agents to perform their duties or obligations pursuant to applicable laws and regulations and such performance is likely to be precluded if the consent of the user must be obtained; and
- In addition to the foregoing, the Company is entitled to disclose information pursuant to the Personal Information Protection Act or other applicable laws and regulations.
5. Your rights
5-1. Managing your information
You may access and update some of your information through your settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
5-2. How to publish, consent, and terminate of the use of your information
Users will submit their consent to the Company to collect and provide information in a way which the Company specified.
If the user specifies a certain setting, the user is entitled to require the Company to, and the Company shall immediately, discontinue the use of any or all of the User's Information, in accordance with such rules as may be from time to time prescribed by the Company. Depending on the item of the User's Information, if such collection or use is required for the Services, the Company may not be able to discontinue such collection unless the user withdraws from the Services pursuant to the procedures as determined by the Company.
5-3. Correction and Suspension of Use of Personal Information
You have rights to request corrections and suspensions of the use of your personal information.
If the Company is required by the user to (1) correct the content of personal information under the provisions of the Personal Information Protection Act because such information is false, or (2) suspend use of personal information because such information is being handled beyond the scope of the purpose of the use previously made public, or has been collected in a fraudulent or otherwise illicit manner, then the Company shall, without delay, conduct an appropriate investigation after confirming the requesting user’s identity, and based upon the results, correct the content or suspend the use of such personal information, and notify the user to that effect. The user shall also be notified of any determination, if applicable, not to correct or suspend the use of such information, together with the justification for such determination.
When Users request to delete their personal information to the Company and judges that it is necessary to accept such request, the Company shall delete such personal information and account, confirming the requesting user’s identity and shall notify the user to that effect.
Those who wish to delete account must follow the procedures written on their account page.
The information you have posted to the Services (e.g., articles, questions, answers, etc.) may continue to be publicly visible on the Services even after your account is deleted. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information may remain in our database and shared within the Company and with third-parties, but are processed into anonymous data and disassociated from personal identifiers.
Should the Company not be obligated to correct, or suspend use of, information pursuant to the Personal Information Protection Act and other applicable laws and regulations, the preceding paragraphs shall not apply.
5-4. Disclosure of Personal Information
You have rights to request disclosure of your personal information stored by the Company.
Upon request from the user to disclose its personal information under the Personal Information Protection Act, the Company shall, without delay, disclose to the User such information after confirming its identity (or notify it of the non-existence of such personal information), to the extent required to do so pursuant to the Personal Information Protection Act and other applicable laws and regulations. Please note that you must pay a legitimate amount of actual expenses (such as postal fees) for disclosure of your personal information.
5-5. Withdrawing consent
You have rights to withdraw your consent to provide personal information anytime by contacting the Company. The Company shall delete the account and related personal information after confirming the identity when the User wishes to withdraw consent. Please note that some copies of your information which are processed into anonymous data shall not be deleted.
Should the Company not be obligated to delete information pursuant to the Personal Information Protection Act and other applicable laws and regulations, the preceding paragraphs shall not apply.
6. Data retention
The Company shall retain your personal information as long as we need to provide the Services to Users, to continue the business, to perform our duties or obligations pursuant to applicable laws and regulations until we receive requests to suspend the use of your data or to delete your data. We will delete your personal information promptly when they are no longer necessary.
However, we will delete personal information if we need to do so to perform our duties or obligations pursuant to applicable laws and regulations.
7. Safety Management of Personal Information
The Company uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to the Services or guarantee that your information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. In the event that personal information is compromised as a result of a breach of Rules by our employee or third-parties which the Company has authorized, the Company takes an appropriate disciplinary action based our business judgment.
Any suggestions, questions, complaints, or other inquiries on the handling of the User's Information must be submitted to:
Address: Ogawamachi Kita Building 3F, 1 Chome-8-3 Kanda Ogawamachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0052, Japan
Ashinote, Inc. Customer Support Center (Sosuke Kimura)